03 February 2012

Don't 'gnocchit' 'til You Try It

So for some reason I had never eaten gnocchi before I came to Italy.  Maybe my parents gave it to me when I was younger, but I probably didn't eat it because of it's name.  So I had no idea what it looked or tasted like; all I knew was this word... gnocchi.

On the first day, my friend Carolann (carolannstephens.blogspot.com) ordered gnocchi for lunch and this was the first time I ever laid eyes on the famous "gnocchi."  I'm not gonna lie, my first impression was that it looked like corn pops and I wasn't all that impressed with sauce covered corn pops, even with how much Carolann seemed to enjoy them.

In the first week with Maria Luisa, I was able to have a personal experience with gnocchi, and I loved it.  The texture is fantastic and it is soooo filling (It might help that I am forced to eat two plates).

We had gnocchi again tonight, but tonight I saw gnocchi in a different light.  I noticed how the little yellow... things (I don't even know how to describe them) stuck together in little blobs, had a cushy feel to when prodded, and were sometimes elusive of my fork when desired to be eaten.  Then it I made possibly the strangest connection in my head.  Gnocchi looks like the minions from Despicable Me.

         Gnocchi = Minions



1 comment:

  1. Haha!! That's amazing! They do look like the little minions.

    I LOVE gnocchi...and there is nothing like authentic Italian gnocchi. Have an extra plate for me :D

    ReplyDelete