30 January 2012

One Friend, Two Friend; Old Friend, New Friend

During my first week in Rome, an old friend of mine, let's call him... Matt, kept calling and texting my American cell phone.  I have no idea why these were getting through (I had turned off celluar date), but I ignored them so as to not run up a crazy phone bill.  Ok, I'm already over telling this.  Long story short Matt's in Rome.  Cool.

We met in Trastevere, a happening night area, and started off walking from Piazza Trilussa at a pretty decent pace.  He had been in Trastevere for a bit already and came out to meet me, so I assumed I was following him until we hit a pretty quiet and residential area and he turns to me and asks, "So where're we going?" Oops.

One note of the conversation we had while walking.  We were talking about style and looking American/Italian/other and Matt says, "I don't look like anyone here, cause no one is wearing and aquarium shirt up in this bitch"

 It basically looked like this.


We eventually find a restaurant, but not really sure how to go in, so we just commit to a door and walk in, chat the old lady for our table and as we are sitting down we realize this isn't the right restaurant.  We look at each other, at at the same time say, "let's just go."  As we make for the door, we hear the lady calling at us, so we just walk faster.

It was nice being out with another person who can speak Italian.  Typically when I go out with people in my program I am the one to speak the Italian to whomever we need to speak to, either because people don't know it or are not confident enough to just give it a whirl.  Dinner was bruschetta, spinach and ricotta ravioli in a cream sauce, and of course a bottle of wine.  Under 30 euro for the two of us, not too bad.  We talked about his first few days in Rome and my couple weeks, and in my stories I mention my new friend Bianca and all the interesting things she does (that part is actually important to this story).

Heading out of the restaurant, we were looking for a bar or cafe where we could sit outside and have a drink when Matt asks me, "so what is Bianca up to tonight?"  We turn the corner and who do we see?  The ultimate nocturnal huntress, on the prowl for completely suspecting Italian men.  Well technically Bianca heard us before we saw her, but it was still a surprise.

We stand around and chat, eventually decide to join forces and find a place to hang out.  We take a chance on this little place called "The Bakery."  (The name was actually English, no translation there).  It's quaint,  has decent drink prices, and wasn't too crazy yet (11:30 is still early in Italy), but the best part of this place was the music.  Classic 60's and 70's American standards.  The Rolling Stones, The Who, Elvis, Otis Redding, The Beatles.  It was like a big warm hug.

The whole night was great, a lot of laughs and interesting conversation.  Everyone enjoyed each others company and we will definitely be doing it again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment