19 January 2012

Assimilation

My goal for my time is Italy is to fully immerse myself in the culture and lifestyle.  Even though I may only be pretending, I wanted to BE Italian for four months.

Before I left for Italy I bought myself a stylish pair of Ray Ban sunglasses becuase I knew sunglasses were big in Italy.  But boy was that an underestimation (more on that later).

First impressions are everything.

Step 1.
Nothing identified me as an American student more than my Northface and backpack combo.  Italians just don't do that.  If they're wearing a Northface, its a big snow-worthy coat, and no backpacks.  Shoulder/messengers bags, purses, and manpurses only (I kid you not men carry around Loius Vuitton bags).  So I was shopping around for a coat for a week or so, finding coats anywhere from 300E to 160E, and this was on sale.  I was about to give in and buy a 180E coat (don't tell my parents), when a friend showed me Zara, which is the Italian equivalent to H&M.  I found a coat there for 80E.  It looked great; double breasted buttons, epilets, and a high collar for when I want to look like an asshole.

Step 2.
The Scarf  Italians are AWLAYS wearing scarves.  Inside, outside, upside down.  Just like their sunglasses (The sun never sets on an Italian).  Again scarves were ridiculously expensive, 60E-120E.  No thanks.  During one of my wandering periods, I stepped into a store that looked to be reasonably priced (the tags in the window are less than 40E for a sweater).  I poked around and found long, soft, plaid scarf for 13E.  Go me.

Step 3.
The Bag.  I have had no luck finding shouler bags for men, so i just ditched the back pack and reconfigured my camera bag for daily use.

Step 4. 
The Fit.  I thought I had this one secured before I left, but apparently not.  Italians wear fitted clothes, nothing is baggy or loose fitting here.  I moved on from boot cut to straight leg jeans about a year ago.  I just think they look nicer and the fit can traverse casual to dress casual.  Come to find out straight leg is baggy to Italians.  I'm walking around in my coat and scarf, shade on, hair all did up (EVERYONE does their hair, even the 6 year olds.) but my pants scream American.  I decide this isn't working for me, everyone knows I am American at first glance, so I decide to buy...      ...skinny jeans.

I gave my brother crap for wearing them before, but boy are they nice.  Since buying them I have been assumed to be Italian on at least 5 occasions, sometimes with people asking me for directions. 

Step 5.
The Language
I can do the accent.  Of all the facets of the Italian language: reading, writing, speaking, listening, and pronunciation, I am by far the best at pronunciation and can sound authentically Italian.  I just need to get the listening comprehension and spontaneous speaking down. 

So far I have applied my dad's saying about skiing and the relationship between the the ride up the lift and actually skiing.

"If you can't look good coming down, at least you look good going up."

No comments:

Post a Comment