23 January 2012

What am I listening to?

I may have brought this up in an earlier post, but I realized that listening to English music was corrupting my full immersion experience, so I decided to find an alternative/indie style Italian group.  But boy was that hard.  "Alternative" in Italy is a guy whining while he plays the acoustic guitar.  Luckily I stumbled upon Subsonica.  They are very electronic, with a lot of syntesizer, but also utilize the traditional rock music intruments.  Their style is extremely diverse, from dubstep, to something like Sublime, and at times hip hop.  At first I just enjoyed the music, but then decided to explore their lyrics. 

*Philosophy Warning* I enjoy music for how it makes me feel.  Music is so much more than notes on a page or pitches of soudns and silences recognized by the ear and interpreted by the brain.  I can only tell music is good if I can feel it or if the lyrics make me feel something.  When I translated Subsonica's lyrics, I was impressed and excited by their use of imagery and phrase.  Here are some of my favorite songs, with selected translated excerpts.

Tra Gli Dei (Among the Gods)
Hai chiesto un posto tra glie dei - You asked for a place among the gods
oltre gli insetti di questo universo - other than the insects of this universe

Sul Sole (On the Sun)
a vacanza sul sole - In vacation on the sun
addormentami per ore - I sleep for hours
immaginarmi migliore di te - I imagine a better you

La Funzione (The Function)
Its difficult to literally translate this song, so I'll just give you the gist of the chorus:
"The function is simple,
the variable is not.
You listen to me,
then offer yourself"

Istrice (Porcupine)
Quel bacio alcolico - That kiss, alcohol
Rossetto e guai - lipstick and trouble
Eì stato facile - it was easy
Non lo è stato mai - but it never was

No comments:

Post a Comment